Thursday, April 16, 2009

Skywatch Friday...

Looking skyward from the base of a totem pole...



A different angle of the pole...



The above totem pole was carved by people of the Kwakwaka'wakw Nation, an indigenous nation on northern Vancouver Island and the adjacent mainland. It's 128 feet or 39 metres tall and is found in Beacon Hill Park in Victoria, BC. If you're interested in learning a bit about totem poles, this is a fairly good link.

The Burj, the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben and a totem pole; common theme? Cultural variation in the expression of uterus envy. ;-)


For more skies from around the globe, visit Skywatch Friday!

15 comments:

  1. Boy that is really high! Great view of it...I've walked through that park before, but I don't remember seeing that totem pole! By the way, I love your header shot. I've got lots of relatives in Victoria so I visit there every now and then and just love the place! Enjoy the skies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice totems, I would have guessed Stanley Park but that is because I am a California girl and Stanley is a place I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that first shot. Great perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the angle of the first shot. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like the angle of the first shot.

    I enjoy reading up on native american customs/culture. I am Cheyenne Indian myself, on my dad's side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both shots. Very interesting perspectives in each.
    Re: that theme you mentioned - so how's your painting coming?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Stunning totem pole. I've only seen the ones in Stanley Park, UBC and one here in Toronto and they weren't as tall as that one!
    Thanks for the link too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. one great totem pole. ugh! i've spoken. 8D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice pole..... speaking of which, as has been mentioned already, how's the painting coming along? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. enjoyed the post and photos...had the pleasure of visiting this many, many moons ago when i was still a west coast gal ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That thing is ginormous! Cool shot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are many beautiful carvings on Vancouver Island and this is a lovely example.

    ReplyDelete