Saturday, April 4, 2009

Seeing red, or rather, primary magenta!


I have spent some time painting. I'm quite happy with it so far. This is a very preliminary stage where the point is to just get colour onto the canvas. It's very blotchy and flat, devoid of detail, etc... but I'm liking it. I'm painting from this photo.

One nugget of advice that I really appreciate receiving was when my painting instructor encouraged me not to think about starting a painting as if it was some big deal, something you had to get right, right from the start. She said, and I'm paraphasing here, "just shut up, grab a brush and slap some pigment onto the canvas" ... "cos you can always paint over it" (as I now know!).

I use to feel nervous before starting a painting (oooo, what if I fuck it up?). Now, judging from the number of painting I have still 'on the go' it seems to be my favourite part... sigh...

;-)

14 comments:

  1. wonderful, very evocative of georgia o'keefe, but without the labia. I think I can see a penis though....

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG... now I CAN'T stop noticing it!!!

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question is...... do you distort it or accentuate it?...... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! good question... I am pondering it!

    Everytime I walk past it now, I see 12 inches thrusting towards the ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. at least, it's not a limp 6 inches...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez, I see it now....nah, you can't hang that anywhere small children would see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol... I know! It took me a while to see it after Mog mentioned it but now, BAM!, it's following me around my flat!

    I'm soooooo wanting some mormon missionaries to knock on my door! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking Georgia O'Keefe as well, but Mog stole my thought! lol

    How provactive ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. But did you see the penis, Jelly? I was going to write "did you see the penis jelly" and then realised a comma was needed, either that or a new variety of conserves has been invented.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ewww...pearl jam...jelly...ewww.

    i'm gonna skip on the penis all together, after all, i am a happily married lesbian.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete