Thursday, April 30, 2009

Skywatch Friday... over some of Canada.

Here are some photos of a flight from Victoria, BC to Ottawa, Ontario that I took last summer.

Leaving Victoria International Airport (International meaning that there are some flights to Seattle).




Apologies to the environment but the flight between Victoria and Vancouver is a great flight. Small plane, flies low, over gorgeous scenery and it's all over in 16 minutes. I love it!





EDIT! Adding... I get off the wee plane in Vancouver and jump aboard a bigger plane from Vancouver to Ottawa... and that takes five hours.

Leaving Vancouver is beautiful too: the ocean, the Cascade mountain range and then the Rockies... hypnotic. Sorry about the squiggle!








The Canadian Prairies ... where the buffalo once roamed is now a checker board of wheat and soybeans. Oh, and down there somewhere is the 'Land of Rape and Honey' (I haven't forgotten).




And here is the political capital of Canada... Ottawa is on the top half of the river and Gatineau in Quebec is on the bottom right corner. It's opposite to a normal map. And my expression is more to do with someone pointing a camera at me than about my feelings about Ottawa cos I really do like it there.





For more skies from around the globe, visit Skywatch Friday.

21 comments:

  1. I took a similar trip to Ottawa in September also taking some snaps in the midst of the clouds. Not as long a trip but still nice. Ottawa is a fantastic place to visit with tons of outdoor bars and restaurants.....and homeless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Coming from the west coast, I noticed a distinct lack of homelessness in Ottawa. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite flight over my favourite ppart of the world.. and home. I always grab a window seat and just enjoy the views. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a briliant flight over the land of R & A. Conveniently shorten...16 minutes of full bliss it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is great to soar like a bird and see those beautiful sights

    ReplyDelete
  6. Groovy pix - ta for them. Wee planes are the best. I once sat next to the pilot in a 6 seater from Mainland Orkney to the island of Westray. Fantastic. The plane then goes from Westray to the smaller island of Papa Westray which i'm told is the shortest scheduled flight in the world (4 mins or summat like that).

    Erm...scuse me bein thick but how does a wee plane do 3000 (ish?) miles in 16 mins?

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol!

    Naldo and chrome3d, I take the wee plane from the island I live on to the mainland. I edited for clarity.

    Naldo, a 4 minute flight! Excellent... 'Here are the emergency exits, here's how you use the oxygen masks and please ensure your seat beats are fastened... oh sod that, we're here!'

    How long ago was that sitting beside the pilot flight? Is it something one could still do? That would be the best seat! Lucky you!

    Thanks all for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. Had me confused when i saw the photo of you at the end as I thought I was reading Rob's blog...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, Mog's been at the Sherry again!
    Really cool pics - I have some nice shots taken from the plane when arriving in Vancouver. It's great when it's clear enough to get a birds eye view of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos...makes me want to take a vacation somewhere, anywhere at this point!

    Hey its a picture of you at the end...there you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos! I like the ones with the airplane propeller. Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great virtual tour. Feel at one with Canada now. Fave pic is the one at the bottom, silver tongued devil that I am. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah Neil, I bet you say that to all the houses of parliament.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well hello, Mstoastburner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. a happy saturday to you. enjoyed your shots from above it all...very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello prkl!

    Thanks for all the nice feedback everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool - love the shots with the propellers in it. Don't see those to often anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those 6 seater flights still head out from Kirkwall on Orkney Mainland to the smaller islands in the group. Each passenger is weighed and told where to sit. My wife was up the back next to a wooden crate with a wee calf in it. Great fun, though landing in a field next to sheer cliffs felt a wee bit hairy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Russ, props are pretty common here; both land and sea. Watching the sea planes take off and land in the harbour is kinda cool. Actually I just may post some pics of that.

    That's cool to know Naldo, thanks! I would eat or starve accordingly to get that front seat though... don't fancy sitting back there in cattle class. ;-) (I suspect that you've likely herd that a few times already!).

    ReplyDelete