Monday, June 15, 2009

Ms Toast Burner --> Ms Muffin Top

So, earlier today I was buying groceries and I was at the seafood counter wanting to get a nice fillet of salmon, mmmmm. Others were ahead of me so I waited.

Trying not to look at the poor lobsters in their watery death row tanks, my eyes fell onto a reflective bit behind the counter. In it, I saw the back of seafood counter woman and the fronts of a very nice looking couple making their order; all summery, fit and healthy there were.

Then my gaze shifted to the left and I thought, 'Who the fuck is that porky-dorky blonde?'...

Fucking hell!!!

Rationally, I've known.

Intellectually, I've known.

Squeezingintosummerclothingly, I've known.

But today, the seafood counter mirror of reality kicked me in the ass!

So, I am posting this as a further kick, for the positive.

I'm embarrassed but I do have compassion for myself; I need the kick of reality but I'm not into beating myself up for my life hitting the shit-fan. There's a balance going on here.

I'm embarrassed because, though never skinny, I was quite fit and I have a lot of knowledge about fitness and nutrition. I do know better.

But understand why this has happened, given that my response to the last year and a half: a move, losing a friendship, my father's death, family stress, being dumped and making a huge fucking mistake... has been too much wine and then diving under my duvet and curling up into the fetal position for nine months. Perhaps other, healthier options would have been better but for whatever reason, I chose hibernation and inebriation.

Shit happens.

And I'm not choosing those things anymore.

But now it's time to shed some of this muffin top; address the side effects of that year for real, seafood counter real.

Making this public will help me get back to myself.

(I'm finding it hard to press 'publish post'...)

18 comments:

  1. Glad you did post...inspiration for us all!

    Just cut the wine out, 9 spoonfuls of sugar in each glass, walk a bit and watch the carbs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn´t understand much of this post but it was apparently about weight problems. Good luck with the project, it will never end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrome3d - actually the post was about baking but thanks for pointing out my fat arse.
    ;-)

    Jayne, you know that I know that I know all of that! lol... Inspiring? It doesn't sound as though you need it MsActive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so maybe I'm a little hesitant to comment here for fear of retribution but, I'm glad you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you posted this and got it off your chest.

    I know it is hard, I too, struggle with weight issues. I look at myself sometimes and I'm like "ew, how did THIS happen?" Well, I let it happen. I ate wrong and didn't excersize at all.
    I eat fairly better now, and I am much more active, but being over 40 hasn't helped the fact that my motibilisim is for shit.

    I feel for you...and understand completely.

    Virtual hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry but I laughted reading this. Not in malicious joy but you're self irony is just a blast. Feel for you 'cause I know hell of a lot 'bout life kicking you in the nuts. And then som'. And 'bout permanent life style changes too.

    Now here's a idea. You should get a personal trainer. Let's say he's called Neil. 8D Then you too should get a room and put AC/DC You Shook Me All Night Long on stereo at repeat, throw away the key and go for it. At the end of the summer you feel hole lot better and maybe have lost couple of pounds too.

    A virtual power hug to my virtual friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never fear, Bogey. :-)

    Jelly, imo, the trick to the over 40 metabolism thing is iron... lifting it (weight training) to rebuild age-related muscle loss. More muscle = higher metabolism.

    But obviously energy in versus energy out is what it comes down to.

    I eat healthily, always have, but even carrots are fattening if I do shit fuck all, all day... and too much wine sure as hell didn't help, either. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. prkl, lmao! :-P

    I understand why you laughed, very much! Life can be shit sometimes but taking a humourous, sideways swipe at it does wonders (like some of your photos on your blog).

    Your fitness advice is interesting! lol...

    Thanks for the virtual hug you and jelly and the other good lucks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can stand next to me and feel very slim.

    Of course though, for me, it's my glands. I never over eat........sit around.....walk slowly......drink wine.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size
    1 fl oz (29.5 g) 1 glass (3.5 fl oz) (103.0 g) 1 full glass (6.0 fl oz) (177.0 g)

    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 25Calories from Fat 0
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.0g0%
    Saturated Fat 0.0g0%
    Cholesterol 0mg0%
    Sodium 1mg0%
    Total Carbohydrates 0.8g0%
    Sugars 0.2g
    Protein 0.0g

    Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0% • Iron 1%

    * Based on a 2000 calorie diet

    Red table wine....

    we all go thru things like this too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kidding aside... pressing the 'click comment' button took balls. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Neil and I am. :-)

    And Mog... the world would be a lesser world without you and your glands. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha, you know I know you know.

    I know also and I'm as fat as hell, active or not, you just have to not like food to be thin really!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You go girl!
    Public declarations are empowering! You will shed those layers like a winter coat no longer needed for the season of despair is over!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you're ready to start a new chapter in your life. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bingo Kathreen... nothing like a good public declaration to get motivated.

    Yeah Sarah, new chapter... I shall hire Dr Seuss to write it! ;-)

    Thanks chickies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You sure it wasnae just one of those weirdly convexed "awkuntz a fattie" mirrors?

    You don't write like a bloater.

    Anyway, i was always runty as fuck at school, called rickets as a student and had to move around a lot to get wet in the shower til my mid thirties.

    I now see parents grab their young children firmly to the sides as i prepare to dive into the local swimming pool.

    I blame the booze and the slowing metabolism. But i probably do eat too much crap.

    Good on you for speaking up for all us relative bloaters. Thank you, Ms TB.

    I'm off now to prepare an egg white omelette with a side of alfalfa sprout, carrot and raisin salad. Aye right!

    ReplyDelete
  18. "You don't write like a bloater."

    Only because I don't type with my bum!

    Cheers Naldo. :-)

    ReplyDelete