Saturday, September 19, 2009

Scenic Sunday... living on the water.

The other day I spent a few hours at 'Fisherman's Wharf' in Victoria, BC. It use to be a place where you saw salty dogs, working fishing vessels and fish being sold straight off the boats and you ate fish 'n chips at Barb's Place.




Fisherman's Wharf has changed over the years. There are still fishing boats but now about half the wharf is a small community of houseboats or floathomes (not sure which is the more accurate wording). Also, joining Barb's Place are several more floating businesses; a kayak rental place, a tourist shop and more food venders.




I think they've done an alright job at changing the use of the wharf without erasing its charm. Not something I would say about a few of the other wharfs in Victoria that are now inaccessible docks for snots and their yachts.

Anyways ( hi Neil ;-) ), here are some pics. They aren't the greatest pics as you can only stand back so far on a narrow dock! I will have to go back with a different camera or lens.

One of the 'streets':




Various homes:














Scuba diving finds and old gear put to an interesting use:




Love it!




Great vibe about the place!




See more Scenic Sundays here.

11 comments:

  1. Fisherman's Wharf looks fandabbydozey. I wanna go. Ja reckon we'd get a house swap during next year's Edinburgh festival (August)? Our funky flat in Leith for a floathome in V, BC?

    Lovin that floathome word by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I want the blue and ochre one. Although I'd probably have to learn to swim first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a very charming place. And a nice place to visit. I love all the colorful house boats and shops. I would love to visit there.
    Thanks for sharing your lovely photos on scenic Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful captures Marnie. I remember looking longingly across the harbour at the float house community when I was in Victoria but did not go over to see it...thank you for the tour. It has to be a neat place to live.
    Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post and what a fantastic area. Just love the Divers Den and the moby's.
    But I reeeeeeally wanna go to Barbs for a Fanny Bay Oyster Dinner! .....and just ten bucks too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first shot does not look unlike my Gloucester, Massachusetts. The others have wonderful colors. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous and colourful pictures Marnie - thanks for my waterfront tour - looks a great place to go and be nosey !

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL Neil! How on earth did you find that?! Like a bloodhound! lol...

    Hey Naldo, I think you'd have a fair shot at a flat/floathome swap. Great idea!

    Thanks for all your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for a lovely post, I love the colourful float homes, what a great place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting these photos. I haven't been down there in years as I keep on only seeing it from the water. Looks like the area still has charm.

    ReplyDelete