Sunday, January 23, 2011

RIP Cal, You Stud Muffin

Oh crap, what a week.

First the fire.

And now the death of a neighbour and friend.

I didn't know Cal very well but I loved him. I've known him for 10 years. He was a man who lived in my building and his car was parked near mine. We seemed to have similar schedules, so we saw each other a lot.

He was 97. The youngest 97 year old, ever. He drove, he didn't need glasses, he danced, he went ice skating a few times a week, he was trim, energetic... and such a flirt!

We carried on 'an affair' for ten years.

If we exited the elevator together, and if people were about, he'd exclaim, 'Marnie! Please! Keep your hands off me! I've told you a million times, I'd not your toy boy!' or he'd introduce me as his stalker or his latest hussy or something similar. He was a hoot. And he was very inspiring to me. He had such a zest for life.

He died a couple of days ago. :-(

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, that's a lovely capture of the man. I hope I can follow in his flirty footsteps at 97!

    Crap week indeed - I hope the fire didn't finish him off.

    Have another glass of wine and toast him loudly. And I hope you are able to get back into your home soon. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just returned from his service.

    It was really lovely and I saw a lot of photos of him as a young man, him skating boarding in his 80s, skating all dolled up like a ballerina, etc.

    He had his own plumbing business during his working like the slogan he had was:

    "Don't sleep with a drip, call a plumber!"

    He was a good kind a crazy. And completely lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete