Saturday, November 27, 2010

Rithet's Bog

Today I went to Rithet's Bog which is a real wetland bog and not Mr Rithet's loo. I know you were thinking it. ;-)



"Rithet's Bog is the last of seven large bogs on the Saanich Peninsula. Many generations of the Tsawout people of Saanich traveled yearly to the bog to harvest bog cranberries, Labrador tea and Sphagnum moss, and to hunt ducks and game.

The 42-hectare Nature Sanctuary, named for R. P. Rithet who farmed this area, was donated to the people of Saanich by the Guinness family in 1994. It was previously drained for agricultural use, but is now being conserved and restored to optimize its biodiversity and recognize its heritage value for the benefit of present and future generations."
(from here)


Yes, that Guinness family.


It's just north of Victoria, in Saanich, which is in 'Greater Victoria' ... make sense? Anyways... it's not that far away but I have avoided the area because Shithead Psychologist's office is right across the road. I had a terrible experience with Shithead Psychologist in the summer of '09 and just didn't want to be reminded. I guess I got over it cos here are some piccies of Rithet's Bog!

Looking very bog-like, with a nice cloud.




Bullrushes taller than me.




Icy bog.




Like usual, whenever I go to conservation areas, I never see one wiggle of wildlife. Here's the only beast I saw...




Oooooo, one of those really rare Mallards.... and he lands outside of the park, in a ditch, along the road. lol! :-)




Some lingering snow.

Bog-woman feet.


Oh... and while I was leaving the area, I drove by the Shithead Psychologist's office and flipped 'em the bird and yelled many bad words. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment