Friday, January 30, 2009

Earthquake!

It was 5.25am and I was lying in bed, awake, pondering life. I'm an early bird, so being awake at that time is not unusual but having my bed move back and forth, on its own, is!

Why is it doing that? Is my condo haunted? Is the creature under my bed getting uppity? And why are the picture frames on my walls banging about? And something just fell off the dining room table...

KA-CHING! Ah! Victorialand is having a wee earthquake!

It ended very quickly. It was just a strong tremor really. Nerd link:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/uw01301325.html

I have to admit I was a bit nervous but more so because at first I thought there was an intruder in my flat, it was dark and I couldn't see and without my hearing aids I'm never completely confident of what I hear. So the realization that it was just an earthquake was met with relief and joy! ;-)

I also love the sheer force of earth energy I feel during a quake. It's a reminder that I'm a teenie-weenie bit of the universe and my life, and especially the minor irritations in it, are really not important enough to get worked up about and that I'm also a teenie-weenie bit of something wonderful.

And it's a reminder to restock my cache of bottled water...

No comments:

Post a Comment